Wednesday 27 July 2011

A month on...

I've just had a look at when the last post on here was put up & thought it was time for another one.

I'm still going on for the odd pleasure chuck, but my SDAA match days are at an end for the time being I think.  Having said that,  despite not fishing the matches, I've been having rather a lot of success while experimenting this season.  I realise that anyone walking past me whilst fishing could reasonable ask "where's the match?" because I always setup as if I'm fishing one, but that's where the similarity ends.  I'm well off the beaten-track as regards groundbait these days; there are now two or three mixes I use which always seem to work - none of which use badged products from tackle shops - all of which are as cheap as chips and work exceedingly well.

Today is a good case in point.  I went up to the match length and decided to walk far enough to be out of the way, but not that far that I needed oxygen when I got there.  The first job was to pitch as much groundbait in as I could, allowing it to do it's thing while I setup.  Once that was done, I used the left-over bait from the weekend to fish with and caught a fish a chuck, mainly skimmer & hybrids - 12-14oz apiece for the best part of 5 hours.  That's how I like fishing on there these days - just to catch as many fish as I can while I'm there.  I might stay for 2 or 3 hours of an evening, or 4-5 hours if I go during the day.

My match interests haven't completely disappeared - I did fish the WDAA flyer at Parbold on Sunday - because when I got up, that was what I wanted to do.  I drew crap and got tonked either side by the Walker brothers, but hey-ho, that's the gamble.  In actual fact, I really enjoyed it - I caught next to nowt, but even considering the walkers, cyclists and boats, it was good to be back on the flyers again.

Enjoy your fishing - whatever flavour it is.  More in a month (or sooner - again, if I can be bothered)

No comments: