Wednesday 1 June 2011

It wasn't Leyland Mill Lane...

No sir-ee Bob.  I stayed at home all weekend, only venturing out on Bank Holiday Monday.  I wasn't really that bothered about going at all if truth be told, but I went anyway just for something to do.

I set-off from home with every intention of going to the footy pitch at Haskayne, but ended-up at Sollom - dunno how that happened.  Anyway, it was raining very lightly with hardly any wind to speak of.  I set off for the pegs beyond the wires and bushes on the straight, passing some overstaying boats on the way.  Despite BW stating very clearly that motorbikes are NOT allowed on the towpath, one boater has taken it upon himself to not only setup illegal residence, but he's parked his motorbike on the towpath next to his boat.  He can't exactly deny he's been there more than 48 hours because the grass is about 18" deep around his wheels (BW have mown the grass around it...)

Anyway, off I strolled - under the wires, past the trees and out the other side to the boggy bit...  I like it up there - too far for casuals to wander and just far enough away from the boats.  I got setup and as I was putting my top 3s together under the brolly, noticed (as usual) that the wind had gone from barely able to raise a ripple, to bending the brolly into my mush...  Never mind, I wasn't packing in over a bit of wind, so I just got on with it.  The wind was bringing in clusters of low cloud, which had a clear sky behind it so the signs were good.

I mucked about with a few dodgy rigs that have been sat on winders for ages for an hour or so without catching much - mainly down the track.  I've been experimenting with the latest 'must have' groundbait, which is the Sonu F1 - probably catches more anglers than fish, but I was curious about the claims some people have made so I bought a bag (hooked).  I'd fed it on the far side with a few hookbait samples and first dob-in over the top, a load of original slip flew out as I lifted into a bite.  A bit of give & take ensued, followed by a nice bream of about 2lb slipping over the lip of the landing net.  I fed a bit more to see if they were scared of it coming down on their heads and after a brief stand-off, they kept feeding.

It never happens in a match, but as I'm not exactly breaking down doors to fish matches at present, I'm more than happy to pitch up for a pleasure chuck and catch them in numbers.  A grand day out - even the sun obliged...

No comments: